To volunteer at a Code Club you need to
- Be available for one hour a week to help with a Code Club session in a local school, library or community venue
- Commit to volunteering for at least one school term (12 weeks)
- Have time to prepare for the Code Club session each week. This may include organising, printing resources and completing the project you will be doing with the children in advance
- Organise a DBS check for yourself
- Be happy to collaborate with the contact at the venue to make the club run smoothly
- Be confident with computers. You don’t have to be a coding genius, most clubs start with simple programs like Scratch, but you need to be willing to learn
Please note: unfortunately we cannot cover expenses for our volunteers. You are not allowed to charge for your club. Code Club is always free for children to attend. Them’s the rules.
How Code Club support you
- We guide you through your DBS check
- Someone from the venue will be with you throughout the sessions
- We provide great projects for the children which are step by step guides for creating games, animations and websites
- Free online or face to face training sessions to get you started
Read more about the role of a Code Club volunteer.
Ready to go? Register on our site as a volunteer to contact a local venue and get started.
Register as a Volunteer
When you sign up on our site, we’ll take you step by step through the things you need to do to get started as a volunteer.
- Create an account
- Read the information about DBS checks and start the process
- Complete our simple online training or attend a face to face training session
- Your registration is now complete
- Search for venues where you want to volunteer from your ‘Club Hub’. At this stage you will show up in searches and clubs might contact you too
- Once you have found a club to volunteer with, you’ll need to visit the venue to plan, meet the club host and show them your DBS certificate
- The club host will add you to the club and an active club will appear in your ‘Club Hub’. You are now able to view your Club ID and PIN and access all the resources to run the club
- Contact a few clubs to find the one that best suits your availability. Remember: most school clubs are run on weekdays around 3.30pm.
- Don’t wait until you have your DBS statement to start contacting clubs - do both as everything takes time!
Register as a Volunteer